Apr 29, 2013

On Reading CS Lewis

This feels a bit like an apologia.  Not sure.  Regardless, that's kind of a fun blog word.

Recently I've been reading CS Lewis' "The Great Divorce."  Yesterday in my sermon at Hope, I realized that I mentioned CS Lewis several times by way of illustrations.  I felt a little insecure about that, because I think I mention his ideas more than just about anyone's.  I wonder if people might think, "Okay already, enough of the CS Lewis."  I know that not everybody finds him to be as helpful as I do, and I can appreciate that.

When I was a brand new Christian, back in college days, I had no idea there was any such thing as "Christian books."  I'd never seen one, and certainly never read one.  In the spring of my sophomore year, I was down in the panhandle of Florida for a week in which it seemingly rained every day.  One afternoon out of boredom, we went to a book store to browse and get out of the house.  Being a new Christian, I noticed the store had a "Christianity" section.  I was excited about Jesus and excited to see a bookstore had a Christian section, so I went over and browsed.  Authors and titles that are common vernacular to me now were brand new to me then.  I decided if I found a book that looked to be about right (in a Goldilocks/porridge kind of way) I would give it a try and buy it.  So I'd pick up a book, skim through it and usually decide, "too thick, don't get it," and I'd put it down.  I was an abject beginner.

The shelves were probably full of books by people like John Stott, J.I. Packer, Jerry Bridges - and others who were prolific.  I like all those guys.  But then I found a small book that got my attention.  Each chapter was a simple letter - just a few pages.  I randomly read one and found it captivating.  I thought the ruse was engaging; the devil writing letters to a junior devil on how to keep his assigned "patient" from getting too close to God.  Written by some guy I'd never heard of, I bought a copy of "The Screwtape Letters" - the first Christian book I ever read.  I was stunned by the insights in that book.  I couldn't imagine that this author, some guy named CS Lewis, could know me so well.  The expose' theme of the book made me feel "found out," and any fraudulence in me was exposed.  It was challenging and thrilling at the same time.  I wondered if this author had written anything else.  I wanted to tell some of my Christian friends about him.  Maybe I could find at least just one other book by him?  I went searching for one.  I found many.  Now, it's sort of a small life-goal of mine to read everything he's written.  Not sure if I'll do it, but I'll enjoy trying.  There's lots - especially when you start going from his books to his letters.

Well, starting from that time in the spring of 1983, I have read a lot of Lewis' books.  I've also read a fair bit about the man himself.  I remember when I first learned that the year Lewis died was the same year I was born.  I don't think that matters for much, but for some reason it's meaningful to me.  I've often wished I could have met him and talked with him - but no chance.  For now.

I remember reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" when I was in seminary - and I couldn't wait to get out of class every day to run home to read.  I'd read for hours in the afternoons, racing through the series in a couple days.  I got it.  The metaphors and allegories spoke to me, the imagery was bursting with clear sense.  Reepacheep...so awesome!

So what's the deal with Clive Staples Lewis?  I know not everyone loves his stuff.  I know many people who have said they find him hard to read.  I can't disagree with that - sometimes I do too.  But the thing I get when I read him that I don't get with anyone else to the same degree is fresh insights into God, human beings, and the Christian life.  I mean really fresh insights - gleanings and ideas that when I read them I think "God thank you, this is an incredible thought!"  Lewis' perspectives are a combination of creative, insightful, undoubtedly true, intellectually deep, understandably simple, clear and courageous.

To be honest, now that I have read a lot of Christian writing since that rainy day in the book store in Panama City, CSL remains the most helpful and most insightful of all Christian writers for me.  In a sense I think, "when you've tasted the really good wine, why drink the other stuff?"  I know there are many other good writers out there and it's not a great idea to become monochromatic in one's reading.  Yes, there are other good wines out there in Christian writing, but for me, none compare with the richness of the flavor and insight of CS Lewis.